|Guess What! This article appears in 'Advent, Christmas and Epiphany for the Domestic Church.'
Click me for more details.
Holy Water Sprinkler
Every home should have a font for Holy Water by the front door, so that family can bless themselves as they enter and leave the house. This continues and reinforces the Epiphany blessing of the lintels, asking for physical, spiritual, emotional and mental protection of all who cross the threshold.
Holy water can also be used at evening prayers to bless the children before they head off to bed. The father, in his priestly office as head of the family (as Christ is Head of the Church) should bless his children every day. These special moments express his love and caring protection of them, and gives them graces and confidence necessary to face both the challenges and trials of their growing lives. Holy water is also useful to bless your new house, your new car, the bedroom of the latest child having nightmares, your Advent wreath, Christmas tree, Easter feast, and every other family celebration and devotion.
Blessed Holy water should be available at the back of your church. Some churches have special dispensers with taps for Holy water. Blessed Holy Water from Lourdes can be ordered for a donation from: Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate, National Shrine of Our lady of the Snows, P.O. Box 23007, Belleville, IL 62223-0007.
A useful little item is a 'Holy Water Sprinkler'. Any member of the family old enough to handle a pocket knife can make one. The most important thing to remember when using a knife is to cut away from yourself. Never point the knife blade towards your hand or body.
- All you need is a 15 cm (6 inch) stick from a tree or bush outside and your pocket knife.
- Carefully peel the bark off the stick.
- Carve one end of the stick to a neat blunt point, just so that it is not raggedy.
- Split the other end of the stick in half by standing the stick up on a surface and gently pushing the knife blade downwards into it. Split about 1 cm (1/2 inch) into the stick.
- Split it again into quarters, then eigths, then sixteenths, until the end of the stick is like a frayed piece of rope.
And it's done! Make several and give them away to all your friends and relatives. Keep one with each font and bottle of Holy water. The Holy Water Sprinkler is used by dipping it into the Holy water and flicking the drops off its end, just like the priest does at Mass.